Concealed Weapon Permits
Qualifications for License:
- Applicant must be 21 years of age or older.
- Applicant must not be ineligible to carry a firearm pursuant to 18 USC 922(g).
- Applicant can be revoked under 18 USG 922 (d)-this means under indictment for a felony
- Applicant must not have been committed to a state or federal facility for abuse of a controlled substance within a 3 year period preceding the date the application was submitted.
- Applicant must not have chronically and habitually used alcoholic beverages and must not have had two or more DUI convictions within a 3 year period proceeding the date the application was submitted.
- Applicant must demonstrate competence with a firearm and have met the training requirements stated in WV Code 61-7-4.
- Applicant must not have been adjudicated as incompetent and must not have been involuntarily committed to a mental institution.
- Applicant cannot be discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
- Applicant must not have any felony convictions.
Restrictions on Carrying a Concealed Firearm or Other Deadly Weapons by Qualified License Holders:
A concealed firearm or other deadly weapon MAY NOT be carried in the following places:
- Police Station or Sheriff’s Office.
- Detention facility, prison or jail.
- Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom, court proceeding or any building that houses a court of law or the offices of a family law master).
- Federal government property.
- It shall be unlawful for any person to possess any firearm or any other deadly weapon on any school bus as defined in section one, article one, chapter seventeen-a of this code, or in or on any public or private primary or secondary education building, structure, facility or grounds thereof where secondary vocational education programs are conducted or at any school-sponsored function.
- Areas within airport where restricted access is controlled by inspection of person or property.
- Any place where the carrying of firearm is prohibited by federal law.
- Any private property where posted or prohibited.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is the license fee?� Ninety dollars at the time of application for a five year term. A photo ID is offered for an additional $10.00 fee.
- What is the renewal fee?� The same as the application fee for each five year renewal.
- How long is the license valid?� Five years from the date of issuance.
- What weapons are covered under this permit?� A pistol or revolver.
- What must I have to apply for a concealed weapon permit?� You must complete the required training class with a certified instructor.� Upon completion you will be given a certificate.� A copy of this certificate must accompany your application.
- How long will it take for me to receive my concealed weapon permit after I apply?� Approximately two weeks.
Grant County Sheriff
5 Highland Avenue
Petersburg, WV 26847
304-257-1818 - Phone
304-257-2665 - Fax